Thursday, December 5, 2013

Spreading Christmas Cheer with Kindness

I've written before about 1,000 gifts and learning to be thankful for the little things. I truly believe that little things become the big things over time. If you work in any sort of business capacity, you should read The Little Big Things.  Practice them, and I promise your employees will be happier and more dedicated to their work. I tried it with my counselors this summer, and our camp was a much happier place. 

Anyway... I want to tell y'all about one of the little things from today.... In the passing of my boss and mentor this fall, there was one science class left without a teacher.  Our principal has been unable to fill the postion, and one of our assistant coaches has stepped in to teach that class. I didn't realize it, but this man has been really struggling to find ways to teach the kids, and to figure out what they most need to learn. We talked about some things earlier this week, and yesterday, he came and observed my class for a period to see what I was doing and if he could duplicate it.  

I did something really simple after school- I went through my extra copies of labs, student notes, and other assorted science things we have covered in my class recently. I found some appropriate leveled activities that are high interest and made sure he had copies for the number of students, left instructions, and put them on his desk after school. It really only took me about 15 minutes. 

This morning, the coach stopped me in the hallway and thanked me in front of my kiddos, then told me he owed me a favor. Of course, the copy machine ran all of my copies for today as blanks.... So I immediately cashed in the favor and asked him to run a new set on the other copier becuase I needed to take my students to class. The copies came back with a cold diet coke (my favorite!) and some pepper mints.  100% worth it. 

What are you doing to help out others this season?  Feel free to link up your "little big things."

No comments:

Post a Comment