Thursday, January 3, 2013

Wisdom, Power, Faith, Hope, Love

These 5 little words are guiding words of my sorority, Sigma Sigma Sigma.  They are reminders for all of us as we journey through life.  I'm lucky enough to advise a chapter of the sorority now that I'm an alum, so these words appear regularly in my interactions with the chapter members.  Last year (2012), some of my friends taught me that instead of making a resolution, (which, let's be honest....nobody is ever capable of sticking to) we could pick a word to guide our coming year.  My guiding word for 2013 is faith. I'm not talking about my faith in God- that's rock solid, though there's always room to grow and learn in my faith.  I'm still really hoping to find a good bible study to join (that doesn't meet at 10 o'clock on a school night.  The last group of ladies was great, but the meeting time was a little less than perfect for me.)
My 'baby' brother and his friends as angels in the living nativity Christmas Eve.
The faith that I'm talking about is faith in my surroundings.  Faith in myself, my coworkers, in my family and friends, and faith in all the people that I interact with on a daily basis.  This faith incorporates forgiveness and living in the present, rather than holding others (and myself!) accountable for past actions.  I particularly enjoy definition 4 below.


Faith and confidence in my abilities
 and my new masters!
(Gotta love Clemson's purple and orange.
)

faith

  [feyth]  
noun
1.
confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2.
belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesiswould be substantiated by fact.
3.
belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religionthe firmfaith of the Pilgrims.
4.
belief in anything, as a code of ethicsstandards of merit, etc.:to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5.
a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.

faith in learning and new knowledge... at all levels,
whether it's learning to play with
matchbox cars or learning calculus.

And, most importantly, faith that 2013 will be a year that I can reflect back on and find abundant sweet spots.  We're already off to a great start
!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower. Good luck in the new year. :)
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack

    ReplyDelete