Friday, January 4, 2013

52 Week Money Challenge

Anybody with a facebook has probably already seen this floating around in cyberspace, but I'm determined to try this challenge.  Basically, all it involves is setting aside the same number of dollars as the week it is in the calendar year. Example- this week, $1 because it's the first week of the year.  Next week, $2 because it's the second week of the year.  I'm modifying the plan because I'm a teacher and that's what we do.... or because if I alternate from the front and the back of the calendar year, it will be a balanced amount to pull out of my account every month.  I've already started a new savings account, nicknamed "52 Week Challenge" and all of my deposits for January are complete.  I only get paid once a month (at the end), so it's honestly easiest for me to deposit as soon as I'm paid.  The bummer of this modification is that it takes the thrill out of making a deposit every week.  This is truly going to be a challenge for me because it will be much more of my income than people generally tithe going into this savings account.

Which reminds me... I need to get back to reading The Peaceful Mom's blog.  You can read about the beginnings of her family of 6's journey to live on $28,000 a year on this link.

Here's an image of the 52 week challenge:

Again, I'm pulling weeks from the front and back.  For the month of January, I've done Week 1, Week 52, Week 2, Week 51.  I'm also crossing them off on a printed copy of this that's in my planner, but I'm attached to my planner and you may not be.  Regardless, I think this is a great, fun, and disciplined way to save myself a nice hunk of change. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment