Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pantyhose and Other Trivial Things

I loathe pantyhose.  There's simply no other way to say it.  I spent far too many Sundays living in my parents' house and being told to "Go back upstairs and put on some pantyhose."  Here, my students call them stockings.  I had to wear the dreaded things earlier this week.  By the time lunch rolled around, I somehow had a giant run up my heel on one foot, a big strips run on my upper thigh and knee of the other, and one behind my knee.  It only got worse as the day progressed.  I don't know how this happens since I can wear tights and leggings all day without ever having to readjust them or snagging them.  Literally, I have tights that I've had for a solid decade.  Pantyhose? Can't get the darn things comfortable, or to stay in place, or to last more than one solid day....if that.

When I say that I had to wear pantyhose, what I really mean is, it's freezing cold here and I have exactly two pairs of pants in my size...one pair of dressy jeans and one pair of black pants.  I'm going to have access to my parents' washer and dryer in the middle of next week, and I'd really like to make it that long without having to go to the laundromat, so..... my pants are dirty.  I'll wear a dress everyday for a week.  No biggie.  Anyway, wearing hose and I had a run before I even got into my classroom, not that I know how it got there.  My sweet cherubs asked me repeatedly if I was okay because I had big scratches on my legs and they were worried about me.  They tend to worry about me because I'm notoriously clumsy and trip and fall over things routinely.  I guess they thought it was just another attack of my gracefulness, and they were probably right.  Bless their hearts, they were so concerned.  Then, they inevitably told me to just take those stockings off!  "You don't need 'em anyway, you don't need to be dressed up."  I tried to explain that pasty white girl legs just don't look good in some winter dresses and also that at 36 degrees, I was not exposing my legs to cold air.  Not to mention it's No Shave November.  Just kidding. :)

skeletal system

gravity experiment

morning snuggles when it's too cold to get out of bed

pumpkin spice woopie pies

someone has taken over...

college visiting with Baby Brother!


The purpose of this post is just to remind myself that I love my students, and a very rare few some of them love me back.  At this point, I'm not expecting anyone to still be reading.  If you are, I owe you a coke or something.  I had a great conversation with one of my coworkers today, and she was kind enough to share some of the positive feedback she's heard about me from the kids as well as from other teachers/ administrators.  It was completely unsolicited, but we were talking about the mean things we're having to do right now.  For instance, we're still doing plenty of activities, but no more group work or labs for a few weeks.  We've been really lab heavy here (human body- hello? Lots of super cool labs), but I think the kids just need a little more structure right now, so at least until after Turkey Day, we're buckling down a little more and having a little less organized chaos.  I just hope there're no more formal observations.  Thus far this year, I've been fortunate enough to have at least a mini lab planned every time someone has dropped in to observe me (except for during my weekly feedback time, which is only 15-30 minutes at the beginning of one class on Fridays and tends to interrupt either review games or quizzes).  I hate that we can't do as many labs and group activities, but I'll survive, and so will they.  I'm starting to work on actually filling out all 140 of my "Your teacher is thankful for you because...." notes for the kiddos for next week.

Of all the things I'm thankful for this month and every day, many of them are the direct result of my work, my peers, and the opportunities and learning experiences I've had thus far.  I can't wait to see where this crazy life leads me, and how God will shape the rest of my journey....even if it does start with being the teacher in the very back of the lunch line.  Yes, we do line up by age and yes, I'm the youngest in the school.


1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! I'm not surprised your students and staff are falling in love with you!!! :) Miss you lady! Let's get together soon!

    ReplyDelete