Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Month of Thanks

I don't know who decided to spend the entire month of November being Thankful and came up with the idea of naming at least one specific part of your life that you are thankful for each day in November, but they're brilliant.  I loved logging on to facebook this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see thanks, prayer, and hope on this election day, rather than the political bashing that is so common.  I'm still working on my 1000 gifts that I started over the summer.  You can read about the concept behind daring to be joyful here.  I try to make time each night to reflect in prayer on my day and some of the things that I'm thankful for, etc.

This month, my students are getting the "Dear _____, Your teacher is thankful for you because ______" notes that I gave them last year (and that were such a HUGE hit -- they were designed by an early childhood teacher, but my middle schoolers l-o-v-e-d them!)  My boyfriend is getting the same thing, but he gets one per day this month.  We may not see each other for awhile, and I wanted to have some regular reminders for him that I care.

Check out Erika's template here:http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Thanksgiving-Art-Literacy-and-Math-Activities.  (It's free!)  I downloaded and modified it for my kiddos, and voila! Easy, cheap, super appreciated Thanksgiving break treat for the students.

Just off the top of my head, some things I am thankful for today: 

learning how to eat REAL food!

a classroom for me and my students to grow and learn
weddings and celebrations of love

good music

my campers and the world of feeling and acceptance they've introduced me to


opportunities to conquer my fear 

my goofy little brother

my animals
strong women in my life as both friends and family members
football.... and my Dad

the opportunity to travel- here inside the Sistine Chapel
(I'm moving to grab the camera before the guard takes it from us)

Sigma Sigma Sigma- the sorority I joined in college that has
given and continues to give me fabulous opportunities
little brothers
a college education
summer memories and time outside

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! :) And you should know that I'm thankful for you and our friendship!

    ReplyDelete