Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pumpkin Genetics

My middle schoolers have been begging to do some Halloween-y things in the classroom.  It doesn't help that school picture day is on Halloween, so they can't dress up for school unless their parents are okay with that picture going in the yearbook.  Last week, I was planning to do a smiley face genetics activity- flip 2 coins for dominant and recessive alleles and determine the genotype and phenotype of several traits, then draw your results as a smiley face.

We got to the drawing part and the kids were loving it, but the first group asked if we were going to do anything for Halloween.  In a flash of inspiration, our activity became pumpkin genetics.  The kids thought it was SO cool, and it took me literally no extra effort.  Since most of them ask me to draw outlines anyway, instead of drawing face outlines, I outlined a pumpkin for them.  It turned out cute, and I hope to be able to use it again in the future. :)
PS- I'm pretty sure my pumpkins are almost identical to my apples.


And then we had a pep rally...

No comments:

Post a Comment