Friday, October 5, 2012

Make a Face!

I've been working REALLY hard on finding more ways to keep the kids moving in my classroom this year.  Bless the teachers around me for not complaining when it isn't always successful and sometimes gets so loud!  The motivation for all this extra movement is that I have a ton of diagnosed ADD/ ADHD kiddos that aren't on medication.  I thought that I had a lot off ADD/ ADHD at the alternative school, but alternative school ain't got nothin' on this.  Maybe it's the lack of medication?  I don't know. Anyway, if we don't move around, we all go crazy and Ms. Green gets grouchy.  If Mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy applies in the classroom too some days.  I try to avoid getting grouchy at all costs, but too much chaos can almost always set it in motion.

We've been reviewing energy transformations (like in the photosynthesis and respiration feedback loop).  We were talking about mechanical energy and the kids were too wired to sit still but also too wired to successfully move around without shenanigans.  I knew I needed to do something, so we made faces to show movement.  It was great... we went around one at a time and shared at least one face.  Of course, I modeled a few first.  Every single kid participated...even the girl that refuses to speak out loud.  My angels were sweet to everybody else and the classroom was an open, accepting place.  It went so well that I added it into the official lesson plan for the rest of the day.  Another movement success without the kids ever having to leave their seats. :)

If anybody has any suggestions for more ways to bring a little bit of movement into the classroom, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment