Monday, September 17, 2012

Making My Mama Famous: Jambalaya

Just found this oldie in the drafts. :)  It's a DELICIOUS RECIPE, and worth the post.


All said, I could've done a lot worse last weekend.  Admittedly, starting the full lifestyle change on Labor Day Weekend was rough, and I didn't do such a hot job.  I probably ate less healthily than I normally do.  I headed down to the beach to visit with my parents and some friends for the weekend.  It was a much-needed getaway. :)

I ate a lot of fresh, wild shrimp.  I ate some fresh veggies.  I couldn't avoid the jalapeno hush puppies, though, and ate them, along with some homemade potato chips.  My mom also made a batch of her jambalaya, which everyone in my family loves.  It's our Christmas Eve dinner tradition, and we get it sporadically throughout the year as well.

Here's her recipe:

1 lb. boneless chicken cubed
1 lb. shrimp boiled in Zatarains
1 lb. smoked andoulle sausage
1 large onion
3-6 garlic cloves
4 ribs celery
3 small cans tomato paste
1 28 oz can tomatoes
8 cups chicken broth
2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
4 cups long grain rice

It's pretty easy to adjust and make it even cleaner than it already is.... mostly by buying local and fresh.  Real tomatoes instead of canned, etc.  Grass-fed meat, consider cutting out the sausage.  You can do it. I'm a firm believer that recipes aren't to be strictly followed unless you're baking.




No comments:

Post a Comment