Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Favorite Place on Earth

My favorite place is the beach.  My favorite beach (for most occasions) is Kiawah.  For certain occasions, I know that Folly is where I need to go, or Sullivan's, etc.  I do my best thinking at the beach.  I am never more relaxed than after some good quality time at the beach.  There's something almost visceral about the connection.  I love the beauty that is the barrier islands off the Southern end of the Charleston Peninsula.  Of course, I love the rest of Charleston as well.  It's the place that I go when I visit 'home.'  Just in case any of you are SC residents/ care/ love Charleston yourselves, I wanted to talk about something that's been going on for years, but really found its stride only recently.  SCDOT is proposing an extension of I-526 that will cut across James and Johns Islands.  Theoretically, it will improve traffic.  What I believe they mean by this is "If we build this extension, we can build more neighborhoods on this super-valuable undeveloped waterfront property and people won't have to worry about any sort of commute to work."  This is inaccurate....there will be traffic regardless.  Messy traffic.  It's unavoidable, and the extra two minutes you might spend driving to work or downtown is worth the beauty of the drive, the habitats of the animals, the marshes, and the sweet smells EVERY TIME.  It's the island way of life that's being threatened here -- not just the island, but it's plants, animals, and people.  Read up and see what you think.  You might completely disagree with me, but I don't see how any true Charlestonian or environmentalist or nature lover could.  For those of you that don't know about the Holy City -- this is a Charleston Native, better known to most 90s music lovers as the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish.  He's known to country music fans as Darius Rucker -- and to Charlestonians as the local celeb that you can see out shopping at Target with his kids.  Below, I'm also attaching a link for info from the SCDOT and a facebook page from some people who aren't big fans of the proposed extension.  It can still be stopped.


http://www.scdot.org/I526/project_status.shtml

https://www.facebook.com/nix526/info

No comments:

Post a Comment