Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Chocolate Cake w/ Coconut Cream

This week, I am craving chocolate pretty intensely.  It's been niggling at the front of my mind for awhile, so tonight I broke down and decided to make myself a chocolate cake.  Here are the recipes and a little review:

Chocolate Cake

~ Flour and your pan-greasing preference
~ 1.75 cups all purpose flour
~ 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
~ 1.5 cups granulated sugar
~ 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
~ 1.5 tsp baking soda
~ 1/2 tsp baking powder
~ 1/2 tsp kosher salt
~ 1 cup whole milk
~ 1/2 cup canola oil
~ 2 large eggs
~ 2 tsp vanilla extract
~ 3/4 cup boiling water

Sour Cream Frosting

~ 1.5 cups heavy cream
~ 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
~ 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
~ 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes

If you're anything like me, the first time you hear "sour cream" in a word like cookie, frosting, or banana pudding, your mind thinks "GA-ROSS!"  I'm here to tell y'all that it's simply not gross. It's not. My grandma makes the world's best banana pudding....and it has a lot of sour cream in it.  My mom makes the world's best 'sugar cookies', except they're actually sour cream cookies.  This frosting is the same scenario.

I didn't have any heavy cream, so I looked up a recipe using milk and butter to substitute.  It didn't work.  Apparently, if it's not actually heavy cream, it won't whip.  This means that then you have to go to the store in the middle of your cooking escapades, and nobody wants to do that.  I did, and it was worth the trip.  Not only did the second frosting taste better, it whipped like it was supposed to.

The Process
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Put water on to boil.
* Grease two circular (I used square) 8 inch pans.  Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper.  Grease the parchment paper, then pat with flour.

3. Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. *Whisk
4. Mix wet ingredients in separate mixing bowl. *Whisk
5. Pour boiling water into dry ingredients, mix thoroughly.
6.  Slowly add wet ingredients.
7.  Mix until smooth. *Electric mixer.
8. Pour half of the mix into each pan.
9. Cook for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

** While cooking, make your frosting.  Whip ingredients with electric mixer until stiff peaks form in the frosting.
10. Let cool a short while, then transfer to cooling rack.
11. Place one cake on whatever tool you have to hold it. (Cardboard box flattened and covered in foil.)
12. Frost top of layer, then add second layer and finish frosting.  Pat coconut onto frosting if desired.
13. Enjoy!

Not the prettiest cake in the world, but possibly the tastiest!
I managed to do this with relatively un-altered ingredients.  Everything was a minimum of "all natural," which I know means not really all natural according to my research.  Especially my all-natural canola oil, which probably was genetically modified.  This is a phenomenal cake, though, and I did my best to keep the damage to a minimum. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment