Sunday, July 22, 2012

Treats All Around- Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

My dog and cat love trying to get the remains of my milk and my ice cream.  Today, they got to try puppy ice cream.  It looked like a single serving ice cream cup, but it was really thick and definitely didn't melt quickly.  We took it out to the deck just in case it got messy.  I'm happy to report that they both loved their ice cream, but sorry to report that there's no way I was going to taste it and share the info with you guys.


After their treat, I decided to have one of my own.  I realized it was Sunday and I am way behind schedule on eating my produce, since I go to pick up the next installment on Wednesday.  I saw a picture of quinoa stuffed peppers on Pinterest...unfortunately, the recipe didn't seem like one I'd enjoy.  I looked around and ended up combining a couple of recipes.  I wound up with this: 

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers: 
Serving size 1 stuffed pepper- approximately 250 calories
roughly 8g Fiber, 12g protein, 3g sugar, something like 6/7 WW points

Ingredients: 
* 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
* medium tomato, chopped
* 1 cup corn kernels
* 1 tbsp chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* salt to taste (I didn't add any because of the beans)
* can of black beans, drained and rinsed
* 4 large peppers (could be bell, poblano, etc), seeds removed

What to do: 

* Preheat oven to 400* and prepare non-stick baking pan or spray your pan to prevent sticking
* Cook Quinoa.
* Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Add tomato, corn, chili, powder, cumin, and salt. Cook, stirring often, until corn is crisp and tender, 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in quinoa and beans.
* Spoon filling into each pepper.  Arrange in a single layer in the baking tray, add (1/4 cup) water to the bottom of the tray, cover, and bake for 40 minutes.
The ingredients...though I didn't use the cheese
* If you want cheese on top, use Mexican mixed cheese or cheese of your choice, sprinkle over the top of each pepper and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
The filling, minus quinoa and beans

The pepper filling.
See? A variety of pepper types.  The little green upright pepper is powerfully spicy.
PS- if you know its name, please let me know! 
The finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment