Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Being a grad student....

..... is hard.  Especially when you're up against deadlines, tired, frustrated, and things just don't seem to be going your way. Because I'm a peon in the grand scheme of life, I don't have access to a lot of the things I need (or they've never been done in the organization I'm currently volunteering with) to successfully complete my assignments in the high caliber I expect myself to perform.  With the aid of my trusty diet coke, internet on my phone (it went out at the house), and the support of a wonderful friend who sent the best possible text message at my most frustrated and anxious tonight, I made the deadline with enough time and energy left over to blog about it.   

My text simply said this: "You can do it. I believe in you."  Maybe it's cliche, but I know that it was heartfelt and it was exactly what I needed to hear.

I often think about life as a full-time graduate student and a full-time teacher.  Obviously, I mean....those takes up the majority of my time, thought, and energy.  What I don't stop to think about often enough is how much I really enjoy grad school.  I love learning, pressing my limits, and challenging my thoughts and beliefs.  I enjoyed college because many of the classes I took for my major were classes I found interesting.  There was more freedom than in high school to take classes of my choosing, and my focus was narrowed to my more specific passions.  In grad school, my focus has again narrowed, and my classes are all a blast.  I have the opportunity to take only classes which are specifically related to youth development and youth development leadership.  Naturally, I love them all, but not the presentation of some of the professors.

I think what I really wanted to say is this:

Kudos to all of you that have gotten your graduate degrees.  An extra round of applause to those of you that have done it while working.  And if you've gotten a graduate degree while working and maintaining a sane, solid family life, I can't begin to understand how difficult that must have been.  I'm coming to realize what an accomplishment a graduate degree is, how much work is truly put into it.  I keep thinking I can't bear a heavier workload and inevitably, Murphy's Law decides to hand me another plate to juggle, and I manage.  I am in awe of all you Masters of Education, or just Masters in General.  I'm so looking forward to December when I will be my own Master of Science!!

No comments:

Post a Comment