Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Layering Lady



I had my week off, and now it's on to class on-campus every day.  I've been really proud of myself because I 1) haven't gotten lost, which is a HUGE accomplishment for anyone that knows me and 2) haven't taken the bus at all, and instead have walked everywhere.  I like getting reacquainted with the campus.  As you can tell, summer has arrived. :)  It's actually been really beautiful out in the early mornings and in the evenings, but it's shaping up to be a bit warm.  These are the actual temperatures, no heat index added.  Awesome.  One of my classrooms is permanently set at 68, which is super cold to me.  I keep the house close to 80 in the summer.  Not to mention, it's incredibly unhealthy for your body to have to transition more than about 10 or 15 degrees at a time.

As humans, we're wonderfully warm-blooded animals, but unlike the animals that live outside permanently, (most) of us lack the body hair to keep our internal temperatures regulated when the change is that drastic.  The result?  Become a layering pro like me. :)  Layers keep you comfortable, and who doesn't want to be comfortable?  It IS admittedly difficult to layer for the 106 to 68 changes.  I figure I shouldn't really walk around in my fig leaf outfit, and I'd probably have a heat stroke in my hoodie, jeans, shoes, and socks.  Or maybe I'd just set off the self-appointed campus watchmens' radars.  Any great layering tips from my fellow layering ladies?  I feel a little strange carrying around so many extra clothes.

I'm spending my days working through an overload of grad classes, and my early mornings and evenings feeding farm animals and introducing the puppy to new things.

This horse is a big bully.  We'll call him the 8th grader of the middle school, aka top dog.
So sweet.

Kiawah meeting the sweet horse.  He was fascinated by her.  This was after she met the world's loudest mooing brown cow.  'How now, brown cow?' was stuck in my head for-e-ver.  She did end up touching noses with this horse, but I was too intrigued to snap a pic.


So, what are y'all up to for the summer?  If you're a teacher, how are you keeping busy?  More to come on other uneducational topics like eating a diet of un-processed, local, organic foods and NOT breaking the bank. :)  So many fun things!

No comments:

Post a Comment