Friday, June 15, 2012

A Gamble

I'm not a good better, which is probably why I rarely make bets.  I've had my hopes hung on a job.    Quite honestly , I was surprised I didn't start drooling during the middle of the interview when I realized how perfect the job seemed for me.  At the beginning of last week, the principal called my current principal and both asked and said really promising things, as I'm told.  My principal told me not to get my hopes up, but that she'd had a very good chat about me.  She asked what my take on the school and position were, and I shared them with her.  From that day on, almost any time I passed the principal in the hall or saw her, she'd ask if I'd heard yet.  It was torture to keep waiting.  I finally reached the point Monday where I decided I wasn't going to get this "dream job" and just wished that they'd call and tell me no and let me go on with my happy little life.

This past Monday, I was pretty upset that I hadn't heard and was (probably) over-analyzing things.  Wrong-pocket Man, as he likes to be called, suckered me into making a bet with him.  He said that he was willing to bet things had just gotten crazy and that I'd get the job within a couple of weeks.  The winner picks any restaurant and the loser buys dinner.  I grudgingly agreed.  By the time I got home, I had an email requesting me to come back and talk to the Assistant Superintendent.  Woohoo!  So, I went down to visit again, and actually got to talk with both the AS and the Superintendent.  By the time I left, the AS told me I should be expecting an official offer by the end of the business day.  It was all I could do not to jump in the air and click my heels then and there.  I did a little happy dance and continued my wonderful day in a very wonderful mood.  Later that afternoon, I got the call.  I have never been so happy to lose a bet.  There's lots to be nervous about for my next school years, but even more to be excited about!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! HOORAY! YIPPEE!

    I am so happy for you.
    Congrats on the job.
    I am sending you happy thoughts!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! PS- It's a job teaching 7th and 8th grade Honors/ GT. Least preps ever! :)

    ReplyDelete