Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 3: Learning New Things

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it may NOT be a duck!

Or, in today's adventures..... if it looks like paving tar and smushes like paving tar, it may not be paving tar.  While driving home today, my baby (17 yo) brother and I noticed some oddly smushed black substance on the road that turned into black tire tracks further up the road.  It looked like somebody overdid the repaving project.  All of a sudden, we got a whiff of something rather unpleasant, and it wasn't the salt marsh at low tide.  We noticed a water supply truck and some men sucking up a HUGE pile of this black substance.  As we drove by, the odor became so strong you could literally taste it and was virtually unbearable.  It was a gargantuan pile of manure, hopefully animal, but quite probably human.  Or, in other words, my car and tires STILL smell like shi-poopie.  As soon as rush hour traffic ends, I'm heading out to get it cleaned.

My something new today was a Fort Sumter Ferry Ride and Tour.  I'm sure that at some point in my life, I've been to Fort Sumter, but I have no recollection of such event.  My kid brother and I played tourist.  He works for the county parks, which means he and 1 other person get to do basically everything touristy in the Charleston, SC area for free. :)  I learned some new facts about Ft. Sumter and Charleston.  For instance, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated just a few days after the end of the Civil War, which happened to be the same day that the Yankees were re-claiming and re-raising the flags at Ft. Sumter.  It was enjoyable, and I spoiled baby bro with some Belgian Gelato.  It gave me a nice taste of Europe, walking down the stone street and eating my yummy gelato.  Strangely enough, I had a friend tell me just last week that Charleston reminds him of the best parts of Europe.  What a compliment from a European!!

Here are some pictures from our historic visit. :)

North America's Largest Cable-Stayed Bridge

The Yorktwon

Where the Civil War Began...


It's very difficult to get two people and a 55,000 pound cannon in the same frame.

Ready, Aim,.... Fire!

moving the cannon up and down to aim and adjust the length of my shot

View of the Charleston Peninsula from Fort Sumter

Same view from the Fort, but zoomed out

Bending to fit in the door

He's too tall to have been a confederate...

heavenly sugar coma

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mini history lesson since next year I will be teaching American History for the first time ever!!!!!!!!!! :)

    Looks like ya'll had a great time!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, Good luck! I loved my time teaching history, but I have an absolute blast teaching science....and spend wayyyy too much money on lab/ interactive activities, but it's worth it. What grade will you be teaching? Or high school American history?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be teaching 5th and 6th grade history. I'm super excited, but want to make it come alive for them and am thinking the textbook is NOT going to do that! :) I've got to figure out a plan. Soon. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. In SC, 6th grade is Ancient Civilizations. With my 6th graders, some of my favorite things were making togas out of old sheets (Goodwill) and accessories out of toilet paper, making our own mosaics, having religious debates, I dressed in costume ALL the time and occasionally acted the part, cooking traditional Indian food for our study of India, so forth and so on. I'm not sure what state you're in or what the curriculum is, but....I'm sure you can have fun and bring it to life for them. The history teacher I had in middle school that first brought history to life for me was in 6th grade. She and my science teacher came into class one day dressed as cave men with a fire made out of butcher paper, "spoke" caveman, and then had us form our own caveman way of life. You're going to have so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete