Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thumbelina

Thumbelina is our class hamster.  She's a great little outlet for the kids and gives me a chance to make fun examples that involve Thumbelina instead of people in my life science classes.  Recently, she got to move into the glass terrarium I have in my classroom that was serving as a wildlife display.  She got a nice mesh lid and a bigger cage, which I thought was an upgrade for her.  Apparently, she needed a bigger cage.  How do I know this?  Well, during third period, one of the students who absolutely adores Thumbelina announced that she wasn't in her cage.  This isn't unusual because he announces this routinely when she's burrowed into the shavings in her age.  Well today, I didn't see her either, but there was NO WAY in H-E-double hockey sticks I was telling these kids that.  I spent the rest of the day trying to sneak around and find the hamster, but no luck.  Luckily, I forgot to grab my purse at the end of the day when I left.  I turned off the lights and closed my blinds, so when I turned around and opened my door, an oversized "rat" went flying across the doorway and disappeared into a hole I couldn't see.  I screamed, terrified.  After about three seconds, I realized that it must have been the hamster.  Thumbelina, come home please....I don't think you'll make it through Thanksgiving Break without your cage for food and water.  Also, I would really rather you didn't give anybody besides me a mini heart attack.

Thumbelina much smaller

No comments:

Post a Comment