Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's like falling flat on the sidewalk in front of the entire school

Yesterday, I was joking around with one class of 8th grade boys I teach at lunch (we're separated by grade and gender).  One of the boys said something funny (I don't remember what, and you'll see why), and I went to grab another spoonful of oatmeal.  I continued making faces at the kids and then opened my mouth to eat my oatmeal.  Gracefully and in absolute slow motion, I tilted my spoon and that wonderful bite of oatmeal went right. down. my. face. and slid into a landing on the collar of my shirt.   It was sooo graceful. I don't think I've blushed to that shade of red in a very long time, and never in front of my students.  They were so giggly and chatty about it that the drill sergeant rushed in to see what all the commotion was about.  He started yelling at the boys and I raised my hand and admitted my fault, but not what had happened.  That set them off onto a whole new level.  Seriously, I was way more embarrassed than if I'd fallen flat on the sidewalk in front of the entire school.

High point of the day: I am thankful that I finally connected with one of my newest students.  It's been difficult for me because he's a 16 year old 8th grader that will be turning 17 this year.  To put this in perspective, my brother is on grade level as a junior in high school (11th grade) and will be turning 17 in a few months.  I can only imagine the sort of terror my brother would be if he were still in 8th grade.  My student was good today for the first time in almost three weeks.  I did not have to correct him or redirect him in class AND he did his work.  Until today, he hadn't completed a single assignment in my class.  I was thrilled, and I told him after class how stoked I was about our behavior.  He told me class was "actually kinda cool today."  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment