Saturday, October 8, 2011

Shopping Carts

I find shopping oddly therapeutic.  I'm not necessarily talking retail therapy because, let's be honest, trying to find a pair of pants that fits me right is about as easy as finding a needle in a haystack.  I'm talking about any sort of shopping- picking up cat food and litter from Target, grocery shopping, anything that lets me take a cart and methodically walk up and down the aisles.  I sometimes shop when I'm really stressed out.  Of course, usually those shopping excursions are because I've had so much on my mind I forgot to get something on my list or totally forgot to get whatever it is I need for the lab I'm teaching tomorrow.  Some of the things I love about shopping are:

1) The methodically placed aisles and all the strategy behind the organization of a store calms me down.  I like to methodically reason my way through my madness.

2) There's great people watching at the grocery store.  For example, the "must have been on MTV's Teen Mom" mom who has three children (probably all under the age of 8) shopping for groceries at 10:45 on a school night that I saw last week.

3) Have you ever noticed how much you can learn about someone from looking at their shopping cart?  You get a sneaky insight into their lives.  Often, looking at someone else's shopping cart makes me feel more normal, or at least calms me down.  I like to guess what other people do socially, professionally, etc. by looking at their shopping carts. It sounds crazy, but you really should try it....it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment