Monday, September 5, 2011

First Day Jitters

So, I've met most of the students I'll be starting this school year with, but I haven't experienced them in the classroom (or without their parents/ guardians).  This means that tomorrow, but realistically probably Wednesday, will be a big shockaroo to me as I see my students in their classroom confident personas and get to know them.  And that's not even factoring in my three week "honeymoon" period with my kids.  I used to be concerned about first-day jitters as a teacher, but one of the most memorable teachers in my k-12 days advised me that first day jitters are normal, healthy, and should never go away.  He told me that he was nervous every single time he started a new school year, and he'd been teaching well over thirty years.  In my opinion, a little bit of nervousness is good, because it shows that you care about the outcome.  It's a philosophy I adopted back in my days of swim coaching, and one that I preached to my kids.  The trick is to not let the nerves take over and control you.

I'm pretty lucky for several reasons.  First, I'm so swamped with my own schoolwork right now that I haven't had much time this weekend to think about school starting.  Secondly, the kids will be in PT tomorrow morning from the time they arrive until lunch.  Yes, I will be on morning duty and will feed them breakfast, but after they're all herded into the gym, I get the morning with my co-workers for meetings and other fun things. :p  Third, I'm getting nervous now, and it's distracting me from the paper I was working on.  Evidence of the distraction? I'm blogging.  Anyway, I'm in the laundry room right now, which is usually a quiet, nice-smelling place for me to work while the laundry cycles through.  Today, however, I have two college athletes (most likely former college athletes?) hanging out with all their smelly jock clothes in the laundry room.  This is the third reason I'm currently lucky because their conversation is just too interesting for me to be preoccupied with first day jitters.  I'll be back soon to let you guys know how it went.....

But for all you teachers out there, tell me, what do you do to combat first day jitters?

No comments:

Post a Comment