Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Case of the Exploding Head

Today was one of those days where virtually the entire middle school just had to go to the nurse.  I don't doubt a lot of the kids had headaches, because I've had one routinely too....Fall allergies.  But, if I have to teach with my headache, you can learn with it.  The nurse doesn't want to spend all day doing paperwork about your visit in which you complained about a headache, she took your temperature, you were fine, and she sent you back to class.  That's not an efficient way for her to spend her day.

After the zillionth time I'd been asked to go to the nurse today (during my last class), one of my students raised his hand.  I went over to his desk and the following conversation ensued.

Student: My head hurts right here.  (Points to part of head where eyebrow and nose meet).
Me: I'm sorry.
Student: Like, there's this pressure, but instead of coming from the outside, it's going from the inside out.
Me: (very serious and rather grave)  Oh...I think I know what that is...
Student: You do? (Hopeful)
Me: Yes, I do.  I think your brain is exploding.
Student: OH. That's bad, isn't it?

By this point, this students partner and the surrounding students were all cracking up.  It's a miracle I managed to keep a straight face for that conversation.  Seriously, I have no idea how I did it.  Finally, the lightbulb clicked.


Student: That was a joke! That was funny!
Students' Partner: Dude, she played you.  That was awesome.


End scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment