Sunday, August 21, 2011

Life's Little Blessings

I've taken some time today (as a break between lesson plans) to reflect on all the blessings in my life.  I have such a sweet family that I got to see Friday night and Saturday.  Mom even got to see my new classroom and helped me put up a bulletin board that I was unable to do by myself, which was awesome.  I enjoyed getting to help one of my little brothers move into his first apartment, even though it was weird!  The only thing missing was my baby brother, aka Bubba. 

I have, first and foremost, an amazing family.  My immediate family is awesome and I know that I have strong women to rely on in my life.  My mom, her mom and step-mom, and my mom's sister are wonderful examples of the type of woman I hope to be.  Yes, they all do things I don't necessarily love and get on my nerves sometimes, but I hope that I can be as upstanding as they are. 

I have a great support network of friends that I can laugh, cry, and just be with.  They know all about me and they love me anyway--isn't that what true friends are?

I have a job.  AND it's a job that I like.  My principal and assistant principal make sure that I have everything I need in materials and support.  I have a team of experienced teachers to work with, and the entire staff of the school has been wonderful in the days I've spent with them already, welcoming me and offering assistance.  I'm looking forward to meeting my students and the challenges and happy times to come this school year.

I've found a church that I enjoy, and where I feel welcome.  Sunday, the ladies of the church gave me a soup mix to make for dinner.  It's called Friendship Soup, and it's yummy. :)

I'm getting the opportunity to further my education with a masters' degree in something I love-- youth development.  My cohort is a wonderful group of people from all walks of life, and I greatly enjoy being with them in class every week and collaborating with them on projects.  I would not be able to grow as much as I already have in my studies if it weren't for these people and our very helpful, knowledgeable, and understanding professors.

Take a time-out from the stress of your life, and if you're a teacher, from the stress of a new school year.  Reflect on all that you have, and focus on the positive.  What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment