Thursday, August 18, 2011

Just Breathe.

This has been my first week back to the 8-4 in the building....except I'm not in MY building.  Well, not until after 4, anyway.  Meetings. :/  It's been a long, stressful, overwhelming week.  So, with a to-do list a mile long, I'm rolling into year two of my teaching career.  My advice to myself most days this week, and the advice I'm going to give y'all now is to breathe.  That's all you have to do.  Lock yourselves in a quiet room (the bathroom's a good place), sit down, don't do any work/ cleaning/ thinking, and just breathe.  After a minute or so, just give yourself 5 minutes of relaxation.  Maybe even more if you think you need it/ have time for that.  There's nothing wrong with taking a warm bath, having a glass of wine, eating some dark chocolate, or just reading and burning some candles.  I know I try very hard to make sure that all my children (students) are taken care of, and that everything is as good for them as possible.  While I think that to some extent this is a healthy, natural appraoch to student relationships, I know that we as teachers also need to take care of ourselves and our families and friends.  There comes a point when you just have to stop working for the day, especially if you're a perfectionist like I am and you could probably always find something else to do, so the to-do list is never truly empty.  So, go.  Breathe. Take a yoga class.  Relax.  And good luck! I know most of my southern teacher friends started this week, so I hope everyone's school year is off to a fabulous start!

No comments:

Post a Comment